Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Youth
School Resource Brief
The MCH Digital Library uses the term "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning" (LGBTQ) inclusively and with respect; Descriptions of materials use the specific terminology found in the material. For a summary of definitions and word usage, see the Wikipedia entry on LGBT.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): LGBT Youth and Schools. Resources on making schools safe and bias-free for LGBT students, defending their free speech in school, and starting gay-straight alliances. Offers an online form to report LGBT discrimination in schools and links to local affiliates.
- American Psychological Association: Healthy Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Students Project. Capacity-building materials for schools and other organizations that serve LGBTQ students, especially African-Americans and Latinos. Materials include Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth: A Primer for Principals, Educators, and School Personnel.
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight
Education Network (GLSEN). Resources to support school gay-straight
alliances, teacher-training tools, contact information for local GLSEN
chapters, and other materials for families and educators to provide an in-depth understanding of how to address anti-LGBTQ bias in their schools and to make schools safer for all
students. Materials for Educators include lesson plans, curricular tools, and teacher-training programs.
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network. Resources to help school-based gay-straight alliances create safe environments in schools for students to support each other; educate the school community about homophobia, transphobia, gender identity, and sexual orientation issues; and counter discrimination and violence.
- National Education Association (NEA): Bully Free—It Starts with Me. Resources to help students and adults connect and advocate for measures to stop bullying in their schools and communities.
- Safe Schools Coalition. Print and multimedia resources listed by topic, type, and people who use them; directory of community-based LGBTQ youth support groups and safe-school coalitions.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: Teaching Tolerance. Articles, classroom strategies and activities, teaching kits, and other resources to help create respectful and culturally sensitive school environments.
- StopBullying.gov. Research and program
information, video clips, and facts about bullying awareness,
prevention, and intervention. Includes resources for children, adolescents,
parents, educators, and community advocates. Cyberbullying; anti-lesbian,
gay, bisexual, and transgender bullying; and state
laws about bullying are among the topics addressed.
Trevor Project: Education and Training for Youth—Local Resources.
Search by topic, country, state, city, or zip code.
Related MCH Digital Library Resources
- Adolescent Violence Prevention professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Bullying bibliography, resource guide
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- LGBTQ Youth professional resource brief, family resource brief
- Social and Emotional Development in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Suicide Prevention resource brief
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Youth: Resources for Schools. (October 2012). (Updated: May 2014).
Author: John Richards, M.A., MCH Digital Library.
Reviewers: Jolene Bertness, M.Ed., Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Digital Library.