The MCH Digital Library houses a collection of historical documents and reports related to maternal and child health in the United States and health services for children and families.
A particular focus is programs of the federal government, including activities of the Children's Bureau and Maternal and Child Health MCH services under Title V of the Social Security Act as guided by the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration.
- About Title V. Overview by the Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs.
- Celebrating Events (1985)
- The Newborn Screening Story: How One Simple Test Changed Lives, Science, and Health in America (2013)
- Getting to Know Title V (2012). Booklet for families by Family Voices.
- Celebrating 65 Years of Title V: The Maternal and Child Health Program (2001)
- Maternal and Child Health at the Millennium (2001)
- Understanding Title V of the Social Security Act (2000)
- Celebrating 60 Years of Title V (1995)
- 75th Anniversary of Title V (2010) In celebration of the 75th anniversary of Title V of the Social Security Act, the MCH Digital Library's page of links to podcasts from leaders in the field, and materials from the library collection.
Materials in the MCH Digital Library
- Children's Bureau to Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) Name Change. The evolution of the present MCHB from the Children's Bureau.
- The History of MCH: Bibliography.
- MCH Projects Archive (through 10/01/2004)
- MCH Research Program Archive (through 10/01/2004)
- The MCH Training Program Building the Future and Evaluation
- Search MCHLine® for materials on specific topics going back to 1912.
Legislation and Program Data
- Social Security History. A history of the development of social security, agency history, and links to special collections.
- Title V Information System. Data from annual State Title V Block Grant applications and reports that tracks information on key MCH measures.
- Discretionary Grant Information System. Abstracts of MCHB-funded discretionary grants describing project goals, methodology, and other elements.
Materials on MCH History
- Children's Bureau Centennial. History of the Children's Bureau and the political climate and social movements in the early 20th century that laid the foundation for its creation; videos, historic silent movies, and teleconferences; and links to books, articles, and other information.
- Program and Newsletter, November 17, 1983. The Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders, The University of Alabama in Birmingham. Guest Lecturer: Vince L. Hutchins, M.D., M.P.H., Director, Division of Maternal and Child Health Bureau of Health Care Delivery and Assistance Health Resources and Services Administration.
Other Historical Collections
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Pediatric History Center
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists History of Medicine Resources
- Emory University Rollins School of Public Health, Public Health InfoLinks: History of Public Health
- Harvard University, Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
- Medical Library Association, History of the Health Sciences World Wide Web Links
- National Archives and Records Administration
- National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine
- New York Academy of Medicine, Center for the History of Medicine and
- University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing