School Resource Brief
Diabetes Association (ADA): Diabetes
Care at School.
Information for school personnel
about diabetes management at school, including federal
disability law, developing written care plans, and
resolving challenges. Also presents training
resources, position statements, and lesson plans.
with Diabetes: Diabetes at School.
help children with diabetes manage
their condition while at school.
Includes instructions, forms,
plans, and checklists. Also presents
a list with links to states with
diabetes care programs and school
Education in Tribal Schools: Health
Is Life in Balance. A curriculum designed
to educate students in grades
K–12 about the problems
of diabetes in American Indian and
Alaska Native communities and
to empower students to make healthy
lifestyle choices to prevent diabetes.
Includes background information
and a summary of an
evaluation of the curriculum
implementation. The curriculum
was developed by the National Institute of Diabetes
and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
(NIDDK) in collaboration with
Health Service (IHS) Division
of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention,
the CDC Native
Program, eight tribal colleges
and universities, and the National
Institutes of Health Office of
- Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Database. Information about journal articles, research reports, teaching guides, curricula,
conference papers, and books covering all aspects of education-related issues.
To identify resources, enter diabetes in the search box. Click on Search. Use the filters in the left navigation bar to further limit your search. ERIC is sponsored
by the Department
of Education (ED).
- National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP): Schools. A guide, tip sheets, a slide set, and other resources about diabetes and how
to help students with diabetes manage at school. See Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel, rev.
Related MCH Digital Library Resources
- Diabetes in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide (Includes sections about medications and monitoring and nutrition), family resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families professional resource guide
- Health Insurance and Access to Care for Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief
- Medications resource brief
- Nutrition in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Physical Activity and Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- School-Based and School-Linked Health Care school resource brief
- School Health resource brief
Diabetes: School Resource Brief. (June 2011).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Reviewer: Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Digital Library.