School Resource Brief
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI): School Tools. Tools for school nurses and other personnel to help keep children and adolescents
with asthma safe in school.
- American Lung Association (ALA): Asthma-Friendly Schools Initiative (AFSI). Toolkit for developing a comprehensive asthma-management program in schools.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Healthy Youth! Asthma. Information about school health policies and programs, data, guidelines, and a
video clip as well as a wealth of other tools for making schools asthma-friendly.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): Healthy School Environments. Self-assessment tool and a wealth of other resources to help facility managers, school administrators, architects, design engineers, school nurses, parents, teachers, and staff address environmental health issues in schools. Topics include asthma.
- National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE): State School Health Policy Database. A collection of state laws and policies in key areas of school health. Click
on View by Topic. Scan the categories in the left sidebar and choose a topic
(e.g., Asthma Awareness Education, Air Quality, Administration of Medications).
- National Asthma Control Initiative (NACI): Schools and Childcare Settings. Tips for school and child care professionals to assist children and adolescents and their families with keeping asthma under control in and out of the classroom. Includes an asthma action plan, a slide set with general information about asthma, and other tools to prevent and respond to asthma-related emergencies.
Related MCH Digital Library Resources
- Asthma in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide (Includes sections about environmental triggers and medications and monitoring), family resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families professional resource guide
- Health Insurance and Access to Care for Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief
- Medications resource brief
- School-Based and School-Linked Health Care school resource brief
- School Health resource brief
Asthma Management: School Resource Brief. (June 2011). (Updated: May 2014).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Reviewer: Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Digital Library.