Food Security and Nutrition Assistance Programs
Professional Resource Brief
Eligibility criteria, program
descriptions, and contact information
in English and Spanish about federal
and state government benefit and assistance programs,
including food and nutrition. An online form helps users identify
benefits, including food benefits, for which they may be eligible.
- Feeding America: Food Bank Locator.
- Children's HealthWatch.
Reports and policy recommendations about the impact of
economic conditions and public policies on the health and well-being
of infants and children from birth
to age 4 from families with low
incomes. Food and nutrition are addressed.
- Economic Research Service (ERS). Economic information, research, and publications on topics that include food and nutrition assistance and food security and hunger.
- Food and Nutrition Information Center (FNIC).
Databases and resource lists with links to reports, policy statements, websites, listservs and blogs, and other information tools on topics that include U.S. nutrition-assistance programs, hunger and food security, and community food systems. FNIC's special project websites, the SNAP-Ed Connection (formerly Food Stamp Nutrition Connection), the Healthy Meals Resource System (Team Nutrition), and the WIC Works Resource System, present program information, training materials, databases of nutrition-education materials and other resources for and about these federal nutrition-assistance
and Nutrition Service (FNS).
Program information about nutrition-assistance
programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Special Supplemental
Nutrition Program for Women, Infants
and Children (WIC),
Food Service Program, the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and food distribution programs. Also presents data and statistics, forms, nutrition-education materials, regulations and policy, and research about nutrition-assistance
programs. View a set of core nutrition messages designed for use in the federal nutrition-assistance programs to reach mothers of preschoolers, mothers of elementary school-age children, and 8- to 10-year-old children.
- Food Research and Action Center (FRAC). Data, publications, news, and legislative information about hunger, food insecurity, and federal nutrition-assistance programs. Includes information about initiatives to improve public policies and public-private partnerships to eradicate hunger and undernutrition in the United States.
- Also see the MCH Digital Library resource brief, Maternal and Child Health Data and Statistics, and, in particular, the Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System (PedNSS) and the Pregnancy Nutrition Surveillance System (PNSS).
Related MCH Digital Library Resources
- Food Safety resource brief
- Nutrition During Preconception and Pregnancy resource brief
- Nutrition in Child Care resource brief
- Nutrition in Children and Adolescents professional resource guide, family resource brief, school resource brief
Food Security and Nutrition Assistance Programs: Resource Brief. (September 2012). (Updated: December 2014).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Reviewers: Arissa K. Anderson, M.P.H. and R.D. candidate, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; Stephanie Loup, M.P.H. and R.D. candidate, University of Minnesota; Shree Mohanty, M.A., M.S., R.D., L.D., Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Region V; Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Digital Library; Bridget L. Wardley, M.S., R.D., C.S.P., New York University Steinhardt.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Digital Library.