Professional Resource Brief
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM). Position statements, issue briefs, state fact sheets, clinical resources, and
continuing-education tools about midwifery.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG): Programs. Information on programs to develop and implement evidence-based interventions to improve maternal health in the United States..
- Childbirth Connection. Reports, fact sheets, systematic reviews, and other resources about the U.S. maternity care system and how to improve it, women's experience of childbearing, best evidence about specific maternity practices, and support for maternity care decision making. Includes information for women about pregnancy, childbirth, and navigating the maternity care system. Initiatives include
Transforming Maternity Care (TMC). A vision for a high-quality, high-value maternity care system, a blueprint for action, stakeholder workgroup reports and webinars, and blueprint implementation tools.
- Choices in Childbirth. Information and resources about the range of choices available to women for maternity care and birth experiences.
Childbirth Education Association (ICEA).
Information about certification for childbirth educators,
doulas, and prenatal fitness educators. Includes
conference and workshop information.
Education materials are available for a fee.
- Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health: Share With Women.
A series of patient education handouts on topics that include pregnancy, labor and birth, postpartum, and breastfeeding. Handouts are also available in Spanish.
International. Learning modules, webinars, and other educational tools; information about
certification; position papers; conference information;
and other resources for childbirth educators. Offers
information about Lamaze classes for expectant parents and resources
about pregnancy and childbirth that include video clips about making choices for a safe and healthy birth.
- March of Dimes (MOD). Perinatal
statistics, educational tools, research and medical reference information, and patient-education materials
on topics that include childbirth.
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS): National Vital Statistics Reports. Monthly reports about infant births and deaths that include data about childbirth.
- To find reports, briefs, and other resources about childbirth, search the MCH Digital Library's online catalog, MCHLine®. Type childbirth in the keyword field of the search
form. Add a publication date range (e.g., 2009...2014). Click on Search to get your results.
- Infant Mortality and Pregnancy Loss professional resource guide, family resource brief
- Preconception and Pregnancy professional resource guide, family resource brief
Childbirth: Resource Brief. (January 2012). (Updated: December 2014; 2022).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Digital Library.
Reviewers: Olivia Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Digital Library
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Digital Library.