Health and Health Care for All
Family Resource Brief
Here you will find links to resources for finding care, services, and support and websites about health and health care for all families including resources about the health of specific population groups.
- Catalyst Center Family Resources. Contact information in English and Spanish for state organizations and consumer assistance programs that help families understand their health insurance options and help them get health insurance for children and youth with special health care needs.
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA): Find a Health Center. Search by address, city, state, or zip code to find a federally funded health center that provides free or low-cost care.
- Indian Health Service (IHS): Telephone Directory. Directory of federal IHS employees, volunteers, contractors, and some employees of tribal organizations and urban Indian health programs. See the Locations tab on this page for a description of healthcare facilities, tribal health organizations, staff and other information, listed by state.
- Insure Kids Now/Asegure a sus Hijos Ahora. Links to each state's child and teen health insurance program website. Available in English and Spanish. Telephone: (877) KIDS-NOW (543-7669).
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) Prenatal Services. Helpline number to help pregnant women and mothers with newborns identify free or low-cost services for themselves and their babies. Telephone: 800-311-BABY (800-311-2229) | en español 800-504-7081.
- National Alliance for Hispanic Health/Su Familia: The National Hispanic Family Health Helpline. Referrals to local health professionals and information in English and Spanish on a wide range of health topics. Telephone: (866) SU-FAMILIA (783-2645) (English or Spanish).
- Also see the Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families and the family resource briefs, Health Insurance and Access to Care for Kids and Teens and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Youth.
- MedlinePlus: Health Disparities. Links to information in English and Spanish about health differences between groups of people, including racial and ethnic minorities.
- MedlinePlus: Health Information in Multiple Languages. Links to health information in languages other than English.
- MedlinePlus: Population Groups Topics. Links to health information in English and Spanish for African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Americans.
- MySistahs. Information by and for young women of color about sexual and reproductive health issues.
- Office of Minority Health (OMH): Knowledge Center Library. Collection of 50,000 documents, books, journal articles, and media related to the health status of racial and ethnic minority populations, including sources of consumer health materials in more than 35 languages.
- womenshealth.gov: Minority Women's Health. Information about the health risks of special concern to women who are African American, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic American, Native Alaskan, and Native Hawaiian and who are from other Pacific Island groups.
Learn more about health equity and racial and ethnic disparities in health.
Need more information? Use the collection of resources that NCEMCH staff have put together for you and your family.
Health and Health Care For All: Family Resource Brief, 2nd ed. (February 2013). (Updated: March 2017).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., NCEMCH; Breanne C. Wilhite, B.S.
Reviewers: Suzanne Bronheim, Ph. D., National Center for Cultural Competence; Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., NCEMCH; Shree Mohanty, M.A., M.S., R.D., L.D., Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Region V.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., NCEMCH.