Child Care and SIDS
Safe Sleep for Infants in Child Care Programs: Reducing the Risk of SIDS and SUID. (2011). California Childcare Health Program.
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) 2011 Policy Statement — SIDS and Other Sleep-Related Infant Deaths: Expansion of Recommendations for a Safe Infant Sleeping Environment.
Safe Sleep Practices Program Developed by First Candle/National SUID/SIDS Program Support Center in collaboration with Bright Horizons Family Solutions.
California Childcare Health Program Resources on SIDS and child care.
- Tummy Time for Infants. (2009). Fact sheet. Also available in Spanish.
- Safe Sleep Policy for Infants in Child Care. (2011). Model policy. Also available in Spanish.
California SIDS Program
- Childcare Providers/Foster Parents—English. Tools, resources, and support materials for providing a 3-hour training program for child care providers and foster parents. Can be adapted for presentations for those who provide child care in the home, grandparents, allied child care staff, and other caregivers. Also available in Spanish.
Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Child Care Providers: Your Guide to New Crib Standards. (2011). Fact sheet on safety standards effective for manufacturers and retailers on June 28, 2011 and required in child care facilities beginning December 28, 2012.
Healthy Child Care America Back to Sleep Campaign. Brochures, electronic newsletter, Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care Speaker’s Kit, sample policy for use in child care, and policy and research articles. A speaker's kit is being revised.
- A Child Care Provider’s Guide to Safe Sleep. (2008). Healthy Child Care America. Fact sheet for child care providers. Also available in Spanish.
- Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care. (2009). Online training module on creating a safe sleep environment to reduce the risk of SIDS and other sleep-related deaths, for child care providers, health care professionals, and families.
Healthy Child Care Pennsylvania, Early Childhood Education Linkage System (ECELS).
- Self Learning Modules. (2011). Professional development modules, including one on reducing the risk of SIDS.
Minnesota Sudden Infant Death Center. Brochures, frequently asked questions, curricula, other materials for child care providers and foster parents.
- Reducing the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: Curriculum for Training Child Care Providers and Foster Parents. (2008).
National Center on Child Care Quality Improvement.
- Trends in Child Care Center Licensing Regulations and Policies for 2011. (2012) Changes since 2005 in areas such as staffing, health and safety, training, safe sleep, and other SIDS prevention.
National Conference of State Legislatures
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). (2010). List of specific legislation in each state with links to full text.
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Safe to Sleep Public Education Campaign.
National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education
- State Licensing and Regulation Information. List of applicable regulations in each state with links to full text. Updated twice a year.
- Safe Sleep Practices and SIDS/Suffocation Risk Reduction. (2012). Applicable standards from Caring for Our Children--National Health and Safety Performance Standards: Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs 3rd ed. (2011). Co-authored with the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Public Health Association.
Bereavement Support Resources for families, caregivers, and professionals on dealing with the loss of an infant.
Safe Sleep Resources for families, caregivers, and professionals on safe sleep practices for preventing sudden infant death, including sleeping on the back, safe crib environments, and other topics.
National Library of Medicine: Articles from PubMed on Child Care and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, Research Bibliography: SEE SUID/SIDS Research Bibliographies.