Here you will find information and resources to support students with autism
spectrum disorder (ASD) in schools and early childhood programs.
Information and Tools
Speaks: School Community Tool Kit. Information to help members
of the school community understand
and support students with ASD.
- Center on Secondary Education for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (CSESA). Training tools, guides, and strategies for teachers and school personnel for supporting students with ASD in school.
- Center on the Social and
Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL). Tools and
practical strategies for teachers and child care professionals for promoting
children's social and
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA Center): Autism Spectrum
Disorders (ASD). Resources for implementing the early childhood provisions
of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to improve service
systems and outcomes for children with ASD. Topics include
early identification, prevalence, elements of effective programs, preparation
of personnel, and family support. Also presents contact information
the early childhood provisions
of IDEA and for Department of Education–funded early childhood projects.
- National Autism
Association (NAA): Autism Safety Initiative. Information and
tools for families, first responders, health professionals, and school
personnel about wandering, restraint and seclusion, bullying, and suicide prevention.
Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders (NPDC
Briefs for 24 identified evidence-based practices for early identification,
intervention, and education. The briefs contain a description of
the practice, instructions for implementation, an implementation checklist, and a list of references that forms the evidence base.
- Organization for Autism Research (OAR): Educators
and Service Providers.
Strategies for including a child with ASD in a classroom and worksheets
to assist with classroom planning.
Technical Assistance Center
on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS).
Planning, implementation, and evaluation tools for identifying, adapting,
school-wide disciplinary practices. Includes video clips, training tools,
presentation materials, and a review of the evidence base for PBIS. Includes
information for state PBIS coordinators. Some resources are available in
- Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention for
Young Children (TACSEI). Training tools, classroom materials, and other evidence-based resources for early childhood professionals to help young children with or at risk for delays or disabilities develop social emotional skills and reduce challenging behavior.
Committee on Educational Interventions
for Children with Autism. 2001. Educating
Children with Autism.
Washington, DC: National
This book outlines an interdisciplinary
approach to education for children
with autism. The committee explores
what makes education effective for
children with autism and identifies
specific characteristics of programs
Databases for Further Research
Care and Early Education Research Connections: Research Collection.
Online catalog of child care and early childhood education research documents.
Type autism in the search box, and click on the magnifying
glass to get your results.
- Educational Resources Information
Center (ERIC) Database. Information about documents covering
all aspects of education-related issues. To identify resources on ASD,
enter autism in the search box. Click on Search. Use the
filters in the left navigation bar to further limit your search. To identify
resources on Asperger Syndrome, specifically, enter Asperger Syndrome in
the search box.
- National Center for Education Statistics.
Surveys and data about education in the United States and internationally.
Presents tools for searching and analyzing data and annual reports, fact sheets,
and other publications with education statistics. For example, to find the
number of children with autism 3 to 21 years old served under IDEA, Part B,
go to the box, Popular Topics: select a topic here. Select Search tables and
figures. Enter autism and
click on Search Now. Select the table from the list of titles.
Related MCH Library Resources
- Autism Spectrum Disorder knowledge path, family resource brief
- Bullying resource brief
- Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs knowledge path, family resource brief, school resource brief
- Community Services Locator: An Online Directory for Finding Community Services for Children and Families knowledge path
- Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Challenges in Children and Adolescents knowledge path (includes the section Inappropriate Use of Seclusion and Restraints), family resource brief, school resource brief
- School-Based and School-Linked Health Care school resource brief
- School Health resource brief
- Screening resource brief (includes tools for screening infants, children, and adolescents for autism as well as chronic illnesses; physical disabilities; and emotional, behavioral, and mental health challenges)
Autism Spectrum Disorder: School Resource Brief, 2nd ed. (March
2014). (Updated: July 2014).
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewers: Lauren Agoratus, M.A., parent of a child with autism, Family Voices and Family-to-Family Health Information Resource Center at the
Statewide Parent Advocacy Network
of N.J.; Lynn L. Cole, M.S., R.N., P.N.P., Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities at the University of Rochester Medical Center; Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library.
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.