Here are resources to find help and learn more about depression during and after pregnancy.
- KEY RESOURCE Postpartum Support International (PSI). Information for women and their families and friends about perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, including risk factors, symptoms, and treatments. Contact information for state and local support groups. Free weekly phone chats led by informed and caring professionals. A helpline in English and Spanish for information, encouragement, and local resources.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Depression Among Women of Reproductive
Age and Postpartum Depression. Information about depression symptoms, risk factors, and treatments and a checklist to help you talk to your doctor.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA): Taking Care of Both of You. Information about perinatal depression and symptoms, talking to your doctor, treatment, and finding a support group.
of Dimes (MOD).
Information in English and Spanish about postpartum
- MedEd PPD Postpartum Depression
Resource. Information about postpartum depression in English
and Spanish. Features an online diagnostic test, a symptoms checklist,
tips for choosing a mental health professional, personal stories, and answers
to frequently asked questions from experts in the field.
Postpartum Depression. Links to information in English and
Spanish about postpartum depression. Presents a bilingual
fact sheet about emotional changes after having a baby.
The fact sheet is written in English
on one side. The other side is written in Arabic,
Bosnian, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Marshallese,
Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian,
- Pacific Post Partum Support Society. Information about perinatal depression, screening, taking care of yourself, treatment, relapse prevention and management, and what loved ones can do to support. Includes a story about a woman's journey of becoming a mother, her struggles, and ways she found support.
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). 2006. Depression During and After Pregnancy: A Resource for Women, Their Families, and Friends. Rockville, MD: Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). [Booklet]. Available in English and Spanish.
Learn more about depression during and after pregnancy and medication use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Need more information? Use the collection of resources that
library staff have put together for you and your family.
Depression During and After Pregnancy: Family Resource Brief, 2nd ed.
Author: Susan Brune Lorenzo, M.L.S., MCH Library.
Contributors: Beth DeFrancis, M.L.S., MCH Library; Tracy Lopez, M.S.L.S., MCH Library.
Reviewers: Michelle LaRue, M.D., National Alliance for Hispanic Health; Shree Mohanty, M.A., M.S., R.D., L.D., Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Region V; Olivia K. Pickett, M.A., M.L.S., MCH Library; Anna Rough Grignon, M.A., M.E.S.,
Editor: Ruth Barzel, M.A., MCH Library.